Sunday, February 17, 2013

Genesis: The Menu

Hi.

This site is where I'm going to keep track of my attempt to skim the surface of the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu scene.

Let's backtrack a bit:

I'm a poorer than average joe wanting to get back into BJJ, and so in the interest of frugality, I decided to look around at the cost of BJJ in Austin, see if there wasn't some smaller gig than the dojo I learned at many years before that might be significantly cheaper.

Turns out there's more than 15 places you can practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Austin--and only one of them lists their price online. I kept 13 on my list, and there may be more I don't know about. (Feel free to recommend some more!).

Now, I don't know about you, but I've always been the kind of guy who reads the menu twice over before making his selection. These gyms all insist that you can't rate the price-to-product ratio until you come in, and all are asking me to come in.

So you know what? I'm going to try them all. Then I'm going to write about it here and let you know what I found out, so you don't have to deal with this crap.

Most of these places give a free class (with the exception of Vandry?). Two of them give a free week. One gives two weeks free. Another gives a month half off if you go through Yelp.

Between all of these, I should learn not only a lot of Jiu Jitsu, but also a lot about the Austin BJJ scene,  Teaching styles, and Dojo styles. I will learn what I want when I eventually can afford the best. And I'll be able to give some good recommendations to friends.

Who am I?

I'm from Austin, and started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in my teen years. Before that, I had done a smattering of some other martial arts, but nothing of note.

I became very passionate about BJJ, though, and pursued it fervently for a season--until I ran out of money. Later, I left the country for university, and continued even poorer than I had been before. I did do some martial arts for a short time with some incredibly quality folks that cross-trained in several martial arts (including BJJ), with an instructor who asked for only whatever I could afford. But aside from that, and the occasional friendly bout with a friend or family member, I was left only with longing.

None of these reviews are paid for. None of the dojos know they are being reviewed here, or written about. None of them have been warned.

Just some honest reviews and information. Hope it helps someone out there.

These are the places on my list, in no particular order:

Rubicon Fightsport
Martial Arts Center Austin
Paragon BJJ
John's Gym
Joao Crus BJJ
Austin Jiu Jitsu
Relson Jiu Jitsu
Claunch BJJ
Rabadi
Gracie Barra
Vasquez Academy  (Did not like talking to these guys on the phone, too far south anyways).
Cleber BJJ
South Austin Gym
Kokoro (co-op Judo)
Vandry*
Zen Jiu Jitsu
Team Haas Judo

*Vandry doesn't offer a free class, according to a Yelp review. We'll see if that's correct or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment