Saturday, May 16, 2015

Random update. This is now just a BJJ blog that I randomly will use as a soapbox.

Since I started this blog a couple years back...

I got my purple belt in BJJ, and my instructor hints at a promotion not being far away. This was through continued training at Austin Jiu Jitsu, under Dave Thomas, who has his belt under Travis Tooke.

I got a brown belt (sankyu) in Judo. This was through continued training in Kokoro, under several instructors.

I won a boatload of competitions in 5 cities, and lost a few too.

I've purchased/received a lot of BJJ gear, too, which I could definitely review with confidence.

I taught classes for a few month, and had a training intensity of 10+ classes a week for a few months there while doing so.

More on all of the above later.

I have also traveled far and wide and visited more than a BJJ gyms.

A short summary of a few...

Gracie Humaita:
(South Austin on 71)

Too formal for my taste, but overall an excellent gym with high level guys and a good facility. Not a fan of required/rejected gis, either (everyone had Humaita patches on their gi.).


John's Gym:
(N Austin, 620 & Anderson Mill)

Small community gym, some great guys, run by a very nice brown belt. Overall very nice experience. I've attending three open mats at this point and hope to become a regular.


Gracie Barra Round Rock:
(RR/Pflugerville area, "Hester's Crossing")

Kindly let me visit for an open mat. Not many people showed up. I was a fresh purple, and the guy I rolled with was a larger, stronger 4 stripe blue belt, so it's hard to fault him for going very hard with me. The wife of the owner, a purple belt, also clearly deserved her rank. Not much more I can say, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment