Saturday, May 23, 2015

Sambo Nationals - Loss



This was my first match. He of course went on to get 1st place. Turns out he's training for the Olympics. Name is Caleb.

You can see the impact weight cutting had on my stamina. Where I am deftly dodging early in the match, I get so tired near the end that I'm just not able to keep up. I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up, I was so exhausted at the end.

Also, I think my sternum is bruised from that fall I ate. If you slow it down, you can see that my foot almost touches my head. My back and neck felt totally fine, though.

He was an awesome competitor. Insane grip and power. Would love to spar with him sometime when I'm in better shape.

I had one other match, but this match wore me out too much to give a good effort at that one. Also, halfway through, not thinking in terms of 'blue v red' but rather which side of the scoreboard was on the side I walked in from, and also probably from being a little loopy from exhaustion, I thought I was winning and stopped trying. Derp. Genuine surprise when they raised the other guy's hand, thought it was a mistake at first. What a shame.

Have to say, though, I had a few near subs in both matches that I was erroneously stood up during, and that was very frustrating. I really needed the groundwork for my style to work.

1 comment:

  1. Certainly looked like an armbar near the end of the video. I'll need to get the rules rundown on when the match resets to standing.

    ReplyDelete