Sunday, October 12, 2014

How I treat guard.

There are many other positions than guard in jiu jitsu, and an infinite number of transitions. Guard is the 'safest' and most defensive, and the lowest percentage attacking position. If jiu jitsu is about surviving, as the helio camp would say, then guard is a fine, boring strategy. But I'm more interested in going for the kill. That's where the fun is. I treat guard the way most people used to treat half guard--something to look for as an escape to a bad position. And while I get some subs and sweeps and so on from there, if I sense that I can safely reset and get onto my feet, that will always be my preference. (if they keep a bunch of pressure on me and are trying to pass aggressively, sometimes you cannot get up, which is why having a developed guard game is so useful--but it should be a secondary focus to getting up on your feet in most cases, imo).

No comments:

Post a Comment